Okay, so I am jumping into this without really knowing what I'm doing, but technology marches on whether I am in step or not, so I'd better get marching! I will put up some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it, and I will put up newer pictures when I steal Kylie's digital camera and learn how to download said pics... (That's right, folks, she's a beginner) But how hard could this be? I have a nine-year-old son who writes, records, and posts his original video stories on "You-Tube", so shouldn't I be able to build the most basic blog at age 47?? So. Off we go...
This past week was one I had been fearing for months, as my Franklin Planner read as follows: 13th, first grandson due, 14th, face evil ex in court, 15th, turn in major research paper, then mail heart and soul to the IRS, 16th, take a really big breath, 17th, another paper due, 18th, spend money I don't have on car AC that still might not work, 19th, collapse and die, 20th, attempt to master blog technology...you get the picture.
Well, as most of you know, Breck was kind enough to have her baby two weeks early, so THAT happy (yet still high-stress) event did not occur the same week as everything else. And he is the cutest baby on the planet, I kid you not, and I am not the LEAST bit biased...
After only two "RockStar"-assisted all-nighters, (for which I am FAR too old) my research paper was turned in, complete, possibly even good, and on time. I paid the IRS about half what I owe them and requested a payment plan for the balance, then waited 2 hours at Tempe Marketplace in a ridiculously long line of cars, with about a thousand other procrastinators like myself, to get that almighty postmark! I cannot remember the last time I had to PAY as opposed to getting a return, so this was new for me. Between my alimony and the nanny job where there was no with-holding, I sort of got bit this year. But I learned, and it won't happen again.
The taking the breath part worked out ok, then my British Lit prof was kind enough to give the entire class a reprieve on the other paper, so I was free to try and manage the sort of floating shock I was in after going to court on Monday. Can I just say a resounding "Wow" in reference to that experience??? When I think about trying to explain the outrageous nature of what this man I used to love was capable of saying about me, under oath, in a court of law, I just get tired and nauseous. If any of you want the detailed rundown, give me a call and I will tell you all about it, but here are the high points:
Jimmie wants to reduce the amount of child support that he pays me by 2/3, in spite of the fact that he signed a waiver forbidding him from doing that until the end of the 2008-2009 school year. In exchange for his paying more child support for a longer time, I signed away a significant portion of alimony, which I cannot retrieve under any circumstances. If he is successful in this attempt, I will have to move into my parents' basement. I don't think he will be successful, but what do I know?
In addition to this betrayal of the legal agreement we made, my loving ex is attempting to get me to pay his legal fees and a portion of the kids' travel costs when they go to Utah to visit him. His reasoning for this course of action is too deluded to even write about.
What I am asking is simply to preserve the agreement that is in place and have him pay my legal fees since he is the one who took it to court. Also that he be required to post a bond before taking the kids out of state so that we can avoid further hostage situations. The judge is taking it under advisement and will notify the lawyers when he has made a ruling. So now we wait. Divorce is the gift that keeps on giving...
Two days later, Jimmie tried to get me to let him take Sean back to Utah with him. (?) I resisted all the sarcastic responses that initially came to mind, and instead told him that Sean is in school and we would wait until the ruling came back from the judge and the school year was over before making any plans for kids to visit him in Utah. His response to this very logical answer was a barrage of threatening texts about further trials, results I would not like, my horrible meddling family, etc. I simply reiterated my first response, and that was the last I heard from him. I really am doing my very best to not engage him and just try to deal rationally with the stinkbombs he keeps launching at me. The only way to really escape him is to get financially independent of him, and I am plodding away toward that goal as fast as I am able.
Which brings me to school, to people who have helped me, and the continuing miracles in my life. I really LOVE school, in spite of the fact that most of my fellow students are younger than some of my children, and that I seem to have zero affinity for learning a second language. I love being required to read classic literature, I love offering my opinion after having done so, and as hard as that research paper was, I love that I am learning to properly format a manuscript and to do research well. I am learning to navigate the world of financial aid, and am feeling less fearful about losing the support money as a result. There are a lot of scholarship opportunities out there for an aging single mom such as myself!
Today I am feeling particular gratitude for prayer, and for family members and friends who I know have accessed prayer in my behalf. This week that I was so afraid of culminated in a very positive and hopeful event that was set in motion by one of my wonderful sisters, Kristin.
Several months ago, I called her about a title loan I have against my car. (This, incidentally, qualifies as one of the STUPIDEST things I have ever done, but I was desperate at the time) I was hoping to borrow the money to pay it off because the interest was (is) criminally outrageous. She couldn't help me with that, so prayed specifically to find another way to help me. She went to the gym that day and got on the last treadmill left, where the TV was tuned to Good Morning America. (which she never watched..) Warren Buffet was on there with his sister, who runs a foundation which he funds. The purpose of this foundation is to assist women who are in need of help, who have come upon difficult circumstances and are doing all they can to help themselves.
My awesome sister wrote them a letter about me, and long story short, they have chosen to help me, specifically by paying off that horrendous car loan and paying to fix my air conditioning. Could there BE a more direct answer to a specific prayer?? And the timing?? God has perfect timing. I have so many stories like this that I could tell, about every one of you, of my family and friends, who have been there at the right times and in the right ways, through large and small crises, (I get them in all sizes..) and I can NEVER thank you all enough, but I will try. And I will never forget.
So. Today things feel pretty good. I have managed to make it to grandmotherhood, I get another shot at college, I have unbelievable people in my life, my kids love me, money is just money, and it can be found when it is needed. Prayers are answered, sometimes quietly and not until later, but sometimes in your face and right this minute.
Until we blog again,
Peg~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love you, Peggy. I think going back to college is very brave! Hang in there!
(Shelly)
Post a Comment